Pages

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Kilt Hose!

I have been working on the first two kilt hose orders for a little over two weeks now. The first pair, a cable pattern in forest heather are coming along fairly nicely. The first sock is about 11 inches long from the top of the cuff. I have a few more inches to go before I turn the heel and do the foot. I'm nearly done with the calf decreases.


The back

The front
The other pair are argyll hose for a Highland dancer. They're coming along very quickly. They're smaller than the green ones because they're for a girl, not a grown man. Also, I think watching the colors change makes me want to keep going on them, rather than working on the other ones. (I keep saying "they," as though I'm working both socks of the pair simultaneously. I'm not. I'm working on one argyll sock and one green sock.) The argyll sock is about 15 inches from the top of the cuff. This is an interesting one, as it's worked flat, then seamed down the back. The green socks are worked as a tube. I'm at the point on the argyll where I need to hole the heel stitches and finish the argyll pattern on the top of the foot. When that is done, I will seam the back of the sock, then work the heel and the bottom of the foot back and forth until it's as long as the top, then join it in the round to finish out the toe. This keeps the seam from going around the bottom of the foot. That wouldn't feel very good to walk on, much less dance on. I must say, I'm quite proud of the argyll sock. It's unlike anything I've ever made before.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You are really doing well on the green ones and I really like the argyle ones too. I completely forgot about your blog site! I wish I had read the one when Michael was sick and you could have used some help keeping the apartment up! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...