Pages

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Happy Anniversary

Yesterday, Michael and I celebrated our Sixth Anniversary. We commemorated the occasion by going to Silverwood. Some friends of ours had a voucher for two free adult tickets to Silverwood that expired yesterday and they were unable to use it, so we took it off their hands and had a good time. This was the first time I'd been to Silverwood in nine years. The last time I went, I was 18 years old and fresh out of high school. Two of my friends and I spent the day at Silverwood and hung out all night together shortly before I left for college. It's a bit of a different experience as an adult than as a teenager. Michael and I went mostly for the big rides, and only rode any of them once. Waiting in line for an hour for a ride you haven't ridden is one thing, but to do it over and over is something else altogether. It is a bigger park than it was the last time I was there, and there were tons of people there. We started out pretty tame with the log ride. Despite my memory of it being not terribly exciting, I have to admit feeling a bit of a lurch in my stomach when going down the one, fairly short drop that gets the water to splash you a bit. But, I'm glad we started with that one and worked our way up. We definitely worked our way up.

The next ride was the Panic Plunge, which pulls you straight up in the air (giving a nice view of the park and surrounding area), then drops you suddenly and with very little warning. The line for that wasn't terribly long, but we did watch it a couple times while we waited. It is exhilerating, to say the least. The way up is pretty slow, so it's actually fairly enjoyable, despite the fact that you know you're about to drop soon. There's a little click right before it releases, and allows your brain just enough time to think "Oh, here it...." and then you're falling. The fall doesn't last very long, and it slows down right before it gets to the bottom and lowers you gently back to earth.

After that we went for the Timber Terror. I'm not a huge rollercoaster girl, but I'll do the ones that don't go upside down. It's not the upside down aspect that I dislike about those roller coasters, it's the shoulder harness that straps you in. Roller coasters don't give what anyone would consider a smooth ride, and my head always ends up getting bounced back and forth like a high speed pin ball, and I end up with a massive headache. No thanks. But I will do the wooden ones at Silverwood. The Timber Terror goes pretty quickly, with several drops that pull you off your seat, even if adequately strapped in. At that point we stopped for lunch. I know, three rides and we need food already? But those three rides took somewhere around three hours to complete.

After lunch we went on Thunder Canyon. Every bit as fun and wet as I remember. After getting soaked through, I had the bright idea of going on the Super Roundup, which, in my estimation, would act a bit like the spin cycle of a washing machine and dry us out a bit more quickly. It worked somewhat. The fronts of my clothes were dryer, but my back was still pretty wet, as it was pushed against a solid pad. Michael wasn't a fan of that one, so we moved on. We went on the train next, which was relaxing, if unexciting.

After the train ride we were getting a bit hungry again and decided to get a snack. We ate, then went on Tremors. Tremors has a lot more up and down action than the Timber Terror, and goes underground multiple times. This makes the drops, which are already higher than Timber Terror, even longer, as they go under ground as well. It was fun, but once was definitely enough. After that we were pretty tired, so we went home. I know, not a lot of rides, but it took us seven hours to do all that. We didn't go to Boulder Beach, and we didn't do nearly as much as I did the last time I was there. I guess we are getting old. Oh well...we had a great time, and it was definitely a fun way to spend our anniversary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...