Pages

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Lunchtime Frogging

So, normally I knit during my half hour lunch break at work. The demands on my time have gradually increased, due to my growing studio, as well as my desire to practice more and thus acheive goals I have had for several years now. This is all to the good, but it means that my time for knitting has gradually shrunk. Gone are the days where I worked on three and four projects at a time and got them done quickly. Now, I'm working on two projects, and one of them is for someone else. So, once I finish that one I'm going to have to limit myself to one at a time. The sweater I'm knitting for myself (which I've been working on since Christmas or so) I've been working on at lunch time. Now, it's with thin yarn on small needles, so it's taking quite a while. Plus, I only get about 2 rows done in a lunch break, which is only 8 rows a week, normally. I have worked on it a bit outside of work, but mostly not. At least not on the section I'm on now. I've finished the back and I'm working on the front. All this is so you fully grasp the sadness that I am about to explain. I've been happily knitting away, getting closer and closer to the 7 inch mark which means I need to increase for the bust. I'm already well past the waist decreases. Today I got out the pattern to double check the measurement to start increasing...make sure it is in fact 7 inches, not 7 1/4 inches or 7 1/2 inches. As I looked at the pattern I noticed a phrase. A tiny phrase. Only a few words, in fact. It was right after describing the first decrease row for the waist shaping. It said "work 5 rows even." Work 5 rows even. Do not decrease for those five rows. Then "repeat last 6 rows 7 times." Well, I had either forgotten that phrase or missed it entirely, because my decreases were every other row, not every 5 rows. Brilliant. And I was almost to the increases. I'd worked about 4 or 5 inches. And I had to rip it all out. Instead of tapering gently to the waist, it sharply decreased for the waist. This obviously won't work. So, I spent the bulk of my lunch break ripping out most of my work over the last month and a half or so. Always a lovely feeling. I managed to put all the stitches back on my needles very carefully. Of course a good half of them are twisted, so the next row will take longer than normal as well. I got started on that row (which is row 3 of the "work 5 even" section), but only got about a third of the way done with it before it was time to go back to work. So, that's my tale of woe. I'm just hoping I read the directions correctly when I did the back...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...