Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Books, Take 2

Here we are for another installment of Books on Wednesdays. Last week I discussed Dracula and my feelings about the vampire genre and over hyped novels. I'm still reading Dracula and enjoying it. The story is told entirely through letters and journal entries. For me, it's an interesting device that allows the story to be told from multiple points of view without being confusing.

I'm also reading The Lost Continent by Bill Bryson. I haven't picked it up in a few days, but that's largely due to the fact that I was out of town over the weekend and have been fairly busy since I've been back. I haven't been reading much of either of my books. Anyway, The Lost Continent is the story of Bill Bryson's quest for the perfect American small town. You know, the kind of town you see in movies and TV shows from the 50s. He's snarky and somewhat caustic, but of you've ever spent time in small towns (or in the specific regions he visits) you know how true some of his observations are. He's making the trip as an adult, but comparing his current trip with his memories of family road trip vacations as a child. It's a funny and entertaining read. If you're looking for something light that will make you laugh, this book will fit the bill.

What about you? Any good book recommendations?

1 comment:

  1. I meant to comment last time you wrote about books, but apparently I forgot. I really Dracula. It was one of my favorite books. I'm not necessarily into vampire books either, though I did read the Twilight series because... why not? I think I've only read three from your list: Dracula, Frankenstein, and Dorian Gray, and all three are great. I hope you like them. Maybe I'll join you in this book read (if I ever find time to read) because I love me some good Victorian literature.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...