Pages

Saturday, March 8, 2014

On Public Speaking

Tomorrow afternoon I will be giving a presentation at the Baby Fair in Spokane. They call it a class, but it's just me talking for half an hour in front of whoever shows up. There's usually a pretty big turnout for the event, so in all likelihood there will be a good amount of people there.

I'll be talking about babywearing. This should be fairly easy. I have an outline and I'm experienced with the subject matter. I really haven't been too worried about it.

I mentioned something tonight about printing my outline. Michael suggested just having it on my phone. Then he asked, "Do you think you'll be able to keep it to 30 minutes?"  I replied that I would and that this wasn't my first time speaking in public.

Thinking about public speaking made me think of giving speeches at LTC. I've never been one to thoroughly rehearse or script out a speech. I hate listening to someone who sounds like they're reciting something rather than speaking naturally. But, to keep me within the time limits my mom always sat in the audience and gave signals for how much time had passed or how much time I had left.

She won't be there tomorrow. I decided having my notes on my phone was a good idea. That will make it easy to keep an eye on the time too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...