Pages

Friday, March 2, 2007

Part 2

So, my series idea was originally that I would post about these women on three consecutive days. This, as you can see, didn't happen. What can I say, I'm kind of a slacker sometimes. Moving on, the second woman that has had a large impact on my life is Shari. I knew her for so long, and she seemed like such a permanent fixture in my life for so many years. Through her life she taught me so much, and in her death she brought home to me that life is transient, and no one is here forever. When she died of breast cancer I was in Abilene, TX in my sophomore year at Abilene Christian University. I was unable to attend the funeral, but I did write something to be read at her funeral. I have no idea, really, if they did read it, but I will post it below. It is a good summation of what Shari meant to me. Here it is:

I am truly at a loss to put into words all that I would like to say. It was suggested that I choose a memory to share, but even that seems nearly impossible. I have known Shari almost my entire life. Selecting just one of the many memories made in the last 19 years or so is difficult, to say the least. However, I shall try.

Over the years Shari has taught me many things. From the time I was a five-year-old in her kindergarten class to just this last summer during the short time I was home, I’ve learned from her example. One thing that constantly stands at the forefront of my mind when I think of Shari is when I was learning to read. We all got to take turns reading aloud with her one-on-one. I remember looking forward to that time the most during school. After mastering the first little books, Shari, or Teacher, as I called her at the time, would have me read some of the shorter, easier Psalms from the Bible. I believe those times cemented my love of reading and my love of the Psalms.

More recently, Shari has taught me what it is to be courageous and dignified, while still keeping a Christ-like spirit. Never once dwelling, or even letting me dwell, on her sickness, her concern was always for others. The last time I spoke with her was when I called her this last time she was in the hospital. She answered all of my inquiries into her well-being as briefly as possible, and soon countered with a question of her own that required a much more detailed explanation than my questions. I have been loved by and have loved Shari from the time I was a very small child. Knowing her has been one of the greatest blessings of my life and I will cherish her memory until the day I can see her again.

9-23-02

1 comment:

  1. Oh, now you've got me tearing up. Beautiful tribute. She would be touched by it, Jessica. I'm sure that if she can see us, she is very proud of who you are.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...