Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pregnancy Update

So, I'm now 17 weeks and 3 days.  I have felt the baby move twice now.  It's certainly not a regular occurrence at this point.  In a few more weeks I'm sure it will be. 

I'm starting to have more energy again.  I've made it through several days in a row without taking a nap.  In fact, I haven't taken a nap since last Thursday.  I think that's the longest I've gone without a nap this pregnancy.  I thought about taking one today, but decided I felt tired from staring at a computer screen for too long and decided to go for a walk instead.  It wasn't a very long walk (just around the back of our property), but that's the first time since October that the thought of doing something requiring physical activity didn't make me want to curl under a blanket and go to sleep.  Not only did I not want to crawl into bed and go to sleep at the mere thought of physical activity, but I actually got all bundled up and went out.  And I felt better for having done it.  I enjoy walking in the snow and I haven't really gotten to do it this winter.  Since we have snow now and I have a bit more energy, it looks like we'll even get to try out our new snowshoes this weekend.

It really helps that we've discovered the culprit for my extreme, bone deep weariness.  My blood test results came back and my midwife called me last week to let me know what they said.  Most things were pretty normal, but my Vitamin D level was at 13.  For some perspective, people develop rickets at 10 or below.  The bare minimum for recommended Vitamin D levels is 30 and 50-70 is considered optimal.  I was at 13.  So, I started taking 4,000IU of Vitamin D supplements daily.  And I've started going to a tanning salon. 

I know, I know.  Before everyone freaks out about me cooking my baby or how tanning gives you cancer, let me say that I put a lot of thought and research into this and my midwife is totally on board, as is my husband.  Tanning beds will not cook a person or their unborn baby.  The salon I'm going to uses electronic beds (rather than the older style magnetic beds).  The electronic beds don't get terribly hot, so the risk of overheating (which, as far as I can tell, is the only real concern) is minimal.  So far, they're just pleasantly warm.  Plus, if I feel too hot, I can turn off the bed and get out, simple as that. The electronic beds have a ratio of UVA/UVB light that more closely approximates natural sunlight (the magnetic ones tend to have a higher UVA output.)  UVB light is what causes your skin to produce Vitamin D.  UVA light is what oxidizes your skin pigment and potentially causes damage.  Having a balanced ratio is important.  Also, sun exposure is not what causes skin cancer.  Overexposure, i.e. sunburn, eventually can cause skin cancer.  The more frequent and the worse the burns, the greater your chances of developing skin cancer.  In a good tanning salon, they will set your tanning times so that you don't risk getting burned and will slowly work you up to optimal exposure levels for your skin type, Vitamin D production, and tanning preferences.  I'm not so much worried about the actual tan (I don't really change colors anyway), but UVB exposure produces far more Vitamin D than a supplement or food source can possibly supply, and it's in a form that the body uses much more readily than that of an oral supplement.  Altogether, the supplements and the tanning, are making me feel much more like myself.  I'm not completely back to my normal feeling self, but I'm well on my way.  And for that, I'm quite thankful. 

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're starting to get your energy back! The tanning salon sounds like a good idea. I found out that almost all people who live in the Inland Northwest are vitamin D deficient. No big mystery there!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...