Pages

Monday, November 11, 2013

Revival

I've decided it's time to revive this space. I started it as a repository of my random thoughts. I made some half hearted attempts to narrow the focus, but my interests are rather varied, so narrowly focused blogs feel too restrictive. So, I'm returning to my random thought repository.

I've actually been meaning to start writing here again for a little while. I compose posts in my head while I'm doing other things, but forget about them when I move on to something else. I had a baby, and everyone knows that babies eat your brain. That's my excuse.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. I actually have enjoyed my journey into motherhood so far. But, I'm finally starting to find more of myself again. The first year, while gratifying, is also a bit all consuming. Now that my daughter is exerting more independence and learning new things, I'm able to reclaim more of my time and things I enjoy. One of those things is writing. I used to write often. Mostly in notebooks. Sometimes poems. I haven't written poetry in a very long time. Well, I did write one poem a couple months ago, but that was the first in years. I suppose that's not necessarily a bad thing, though, because most of my poetry was written as a vehicle to express to strong emotions, usually of the less pleasant variety. So, my lack of poetry would be indicative of a sense of general happiness with life. I can't see that as a bad thing. (Yes, I did spend a portion of my teenage years writing angsty, and likely bad, poems. It is what it is.)

I used to write stories, too. Those were usually for school assignments, but I never had difficulty finding things to write about. By high school, though, they want analytical essays on other people's stories or research papers, so the creative story telling gets pushed aside. I guess that's partly why I went with poetry. It's short and compact in comparison to writing fiction. Anyway, I've missed writing, so I'm starting again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...