Pages

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Walkin' In a Winter Wonderland

Today is officially a snow day. The Idaho State Police have issued an advisory that non-emergency vehicles should stay off the road. Does this actually stop people? Not really. Last night around 7:30 Michael shoveled our front walk (for the second time) and when I went out to check on him, it made me want to play in the snow. All my childhood snow cravings came back in a rush. So, once he was done, I bundled up in all my snow gear and we headed out. We went for a walk, which sounds crazy but was actually a lot of fun. I tried to make a snow angel just behind our parking lot, outside of the gate that keeps cars from coming in that way. That was not the greatest idea. I'm not used to snow this fluffy. It's been so cold lately, that the snow's moisture content is securely locked in crystals of ice. This means it's not suitable for making snow balls, snow men, or snow sculptures of any kind. This also means that, despite it's depth, it's not a good idea to fall backward into a snow drift on top of asphalt. Now, I didn't really hurt myself, but I was definitely expecting a softer landing. The walk was really cool. Christmas lights in a snowfall are so pretty. Michael took a couple pictures with his phone that I'll post later.

It snowed all night long and all of our plans for the day have been cancelled. I was supposed to have lunch with my friend Juanita, but that didn't happen. We'll reschedule, though. But I was looking forward to that, for sure. It snowed all night. I think we've broken records. And there's no sign of it letting up anytime soon. Michael has shoveled five times since this started, and probably needs to again. We actually walked to his parents house (they don't live all that far from us), but that was the longest walk to their house I've ever made. The waist deep snow made for slow going. It's fluffy, but it's deep. We've been camped out here since about 10:00 this morning. Michael's being nice and snow-blowing his parents' driveway. It'll be an interesting walk home, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...