Pages

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Wool Socks

I love wool socks. They are wonderful. Wool tends to get a bad rap, and many people think of wool as a synonym for "itchy." While there are definitely wools that are itchy (especially if you're allergic to wool, which I, fortunately, am not), but not all of them are. There are some very nice, non-itchy wools. And socks made from this type of wool are the best socks in the world. Particularly if you live in a northern climate (such as Idaho) where it snows and temperatures can drop below zero for days at a time. Sadly, I only have two pairs of wool socks. My first pair of adult socks are made of a variegated green wool and keep my toes nice and toasty. Here they are:


The other pair I finished a couple months ago, but I'm not crazy about them. They were my first experiment with double knitting, where I knit both socks at the same time. Because of this, they are knit from thicker yarn than is usually used in sock knitting and they don't match. This is intentional, so that I could tell the socks apart as I was knitting them. The more experienced double knitters use the same yarn for both socks so that they end up with a matching pair, but since it was my first time I did not do this.


As you can see, they're a bit odd looking. I didn't weave in the ends because I don't really plan on wearing them. Although, I did wear them on Sunday under my boots when it was ridiculously cold. My other wool socks were in need of washing and I was desperate for wool socks to keep my toes from freezing. Fortunately for me, I now have enough sock yarn for at least six pairs of socks. My mom got me a bunch of sock yarn for my birthday. I started one already, but I only have the toe done.

1 comment:

  1. I totally love the mismatched socks. If you ever feel the need to experiment again, I'd love a pair. :) Matched socks are for squares! (j/k)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...