Pages

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Update

The last few days are a bit blurry. A fog created by lack of sleep makes the days difficult to keep track of and I feel like I'm floating in a bit of a timeless void. The few days since Friday seem at once not that long, and yet an eternity. Michael was released from the hospital Saturday morning. The unimpressive doctor came into his room and said something along the lines of "Well, I did my job. I signed the paperwork. You'll be released by noon." This of course was before I had returned to the hospital. I didn't actually expect Michael to be released until mid to late afternoon on Saturday, so I had planned on teaching my morning lessons. So, I canceled those and went to the hospital instead. He was officially released about 11:00 am. He's on IV medication until Friday, June 19. The dosing schedule is every 8 hours, so we get to hook him up at midnight, 8 am, and 4 pm. Fortunately, there are no needles involved. On Friday afternoon they inserted a PICC line (Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter) in his upper left arm. If you'd like to see a picture, he loaded one on his facebook page. So, he has tubes hanging out of his arm until June 19. The medicine takes an hour to drip into him, so that means we can only get about 6 - 61/2 hours of sleep at one time. We've been taking lots of naps. This is why the last few days are a bit blurry. I usually only sleep once a day, not two or three times. And these are long naps. This morning we went back to bed after his 8 am dose (around 9 or 9:30) and slept until 1:30. He's doing okay, but we're both pretty tired, him more than me. He's sick, so that makes him tired, the IV medicine makes him tired, and the pain medicine makes him tired. It's a lovely trifecta. Fortunately, I don't have to go to school right now since we're done for the summer, so I can stay home to take care of him. While things could certainly be better (like, if no one were sick), they could certainly be a whole lot worse.

The paper has made progress. I've been working on it today for the first time since Friday. It's close, but I think I'll have to finish it tomorrow. I can't think that hard anymore tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Jessica, I'm so sorry you guys are going through this. How exhausting! We'll be praying for strength for you both as Michael recovers. We're bringing you dinner tomorrow, so call if there is something in particular that sounds good to the recuperating patient!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...