Pages

Monday, January 15, 2007

Things I've Learned Recently

Sheep yodel. I learned this from my friend Caleb. He's three (almost four). He's the son of my friends Paul and Katrina who invited Michael and I out to lunch yesterday after church to the local gourmet restaurant known as Wendy's. We had a lot of fun. The kids both got kids' meals which came with the sheep from Charlotte's Web. Caleb was playing with his and yodeling. We decided he must've seen a yodeling sheep on a cartoon or something. Katrina said something along the lines of, "I hope he doesn't think sheep actually say that." Upon questioning, in Caleb's world sheep don't go "Baaa" they say "Yodellay-he-hoo!" It's true. You learn something new every day.

I've also encountered the joy of knitting on extra large toothpicks. Okay, so they're not really toothpicks, but they sure do look a lot like them. They're double pointed knitting needles (knitting needles with a point on each and and much shorter than standard straight knitting needles) in size 0 (in metric it's the 2mm size). I'm knitting some fingerless gloves from a pattern I found on a knitting blog (www.eunnyjang.com/knit, if you're interested). The pattern writer called them Endpaper Mitts. I plan on wearing them to help keep my ridiculously cold hands slightly warmer, while still retaining the full use of my fingers. So, I started yesterday. They're knit on size 0 needles and size 2 needles. I haven't gotten very far, but I think they're going to look cool. They're in burgundy and white. I'll post photos as they progress. This is project 2 of 3 that I'll be working on simultaneously. I started another sweater (I had the yarn sitting there, staring at me as if to say, "Well, what are you going to do with me? Huh? C'mon, get started!" and I hadn't yet been to the store for the yarn for the fingerless gloves, so what else was I supposed to do?) It's in Autumn Red, and it has cables all over it. The progress will be much slower than on the last sweater for a few reasons: 1) it's much more intricate than the last one, 2) it's on much smaller needles than the last one (size 6), and 3) I'm working on two other projects at the same time. My last project is a purse for my mom. It will be felted. Felting, in case you don't know, is what happens to wool when you throw it in the washer in hot water. It shrinks it up and fuses the fibers together, making it sturdy and great for bags and purses. It'll be dark brown (as per her request) and will be a "church purse" (which in Mom-language means a smallish purse for the main purpose of using at church, as opposed to her regular purse which is large and seems unnecessary in certain situations, i.e. church). We actually just bought the yarn today from a cute little shop on Third Street called Harmony Yarn. I haven't started the purse just yet, but intend to tomorrow. I'm making it up as I go for this one (rectangles aren't very hard to make after all), so I'm still formulating a plan of attack. If you would be interested in a church purse, or any other type of purse for that matter, let me know and we'll talk. I'll let you know how this one goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...