Pages

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Cookie Dough

I made chocolate chip cookie dough today. I didn't actually make cookies, just the cookie dough. Michael wanted to eat some, so I made some. We didn't eat all of it, of course. The rest is in the refrigerator. I'll probably actually make the rest into cookies tomorrow. I just didn't feel like it today.

The first time I ever made cookie dough with the express purpose of eating cookie dough was in college. Before that, eating cookie dough was a guilty pleasure - a side benefit of making cookies. Only a spoonful or two was allowed. At the end we could lick the remains of the bowl, but we never just made cookie dough to eat. There was a group of us at someone's house and we decided to make cookies. Someone suggested that we just eat the dough and not worry about the actual baking aspect, since it was the dough we were really interested in. That was a bit of a revelation for me. I'd never participated in making cookie dough without the goal of making cookies. We did eventually make a few cookies. There is a limit to how much cookie dough a person can eat. So, after we'd all eaten our fill, we baked the rest into cookies.

Today's cookie dough will eventually end up the same way. I will make cookies out of it. Just not tonight.

3 comments:

  1. We used to buy the pillsbury stuff or the stuff from Papa Murphy's just to eat. I don't think I've ever actually made a batch just to eat though. Did you leave out the eggs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I used eggs. I use eggs from a local farm, and farm fresh eggs have been shown to have significantly lower amounts of bacteria that lead to food borne illness (battery raised chickens and their eggs have such high levels because of the conditions in which they are raised). Even if I were using eggs from the store, though, the amount of cookie dough consumed is really not that much, so the risk of food-borne illness is very small.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know. I also use farm eggs (my inlaws raise chickens) and for some reason I assumed farm eggs had more bacteria.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...