Pages

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Fall Favorites

I very much enjoy living in a part of the world where I get to experience all four seasons. I grew up with that, so it feels normal. I did go to college in West Texas, where they have two seasons: hot and random. It was nice to return to the northwest where we get winter, spring, summer, and fall. Fall is very much upon us. In no particular order, here are some of my favorite things about Fall:
  1. Apples. They're in season and abundant everywhere that sells produce. There are tons of varieties, and there are many ways to eat an apple. We got a big box on the last day of the farmer's market to last us for quite a while. In addition to just grabbing an apple for a quick snack, the tarter varieties are delicious sauteed in a little butter. Mmmm....apples.
  2. Sunny, crisp days. Today falls in this category. The sun has been shining pretty much all day, and even though it's cool, the sun makes it feel nice.
  3. Colorful leaves. Yellow is very prominent, but the shots of orange and red against the backdrop of native evergreens is beautiful.
  4. Butternut squash soup. Winter squashes are out, and butternut squash soup is delicious. I just discovered this one last fall, but I've already made it once this year and have another squash just waiting.
  5. Going for a walk and crunching through the leaves. It's satisfying on so many levels.
  6. Getting to wear all my handknits. On any given day I can be found sporting something I've knit, even if it's just my socks.
  7. Halloween. I'm more into the innocent version, where kids dress up and get free candy. Maybe dressing up myself and going to a party. But, it's the dressing up and the fun treats that I enjoy, not pranks. This year we went to my parents' house and passed out candy. It was a quite enjoyable evening.
  8. Thanksgiving. It's a great excuse to get together and eat delicious food. We're fortunate to live near in the same city as both my parents and my in-laws, so we get to spend the holiday with everyone. That in itself is something to be thankful for.
That's about it for now. But, here is a picture out my front door of today.

1 comment:

  1. Great list! Fall is my favorite season. I, too, feel blessed to live here where fall is beautiful, winter is cold, spring is wet, and summer is hot. Yay for the Northwest!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...