Pages

Monday, November 15, 2010

Unfinished Objects

Unfinished Objects, or UFOs, often take up residence in the house of a knitter. I currently have three I can think of off hand. UFOs are different from Works In Progress because progress has not been made on the UFO in some time. Works In Progress still count as in progress if work has been done on them in the recent past. I suppose different people would have different standards for when something crosses the line between a Work In Progress and a UFO. For me, it's something I have abandoned and have no intention of returning to in the foreseeable future. For example, my Works In Progress list includes one purple lace cardigan sweater, one red pullover sweater, a pair of socks for me, and a pair of socks for my mom for Christmas. I have been working on all of these projects concurrently. I mostly work on the socks for Christmas, as those have a specific deadline. I alternate to the other projects for different reasons, including my hands getting tired and needing a change of pace, being in a room that contains one project and not another, and hanging out at my parents house, making working on my mom's Christmas present not an option.

My UFO's have ended up that way for various reasons. My UFO list is shorter than my Works In Progress list. For my UFOs I have a half-sleeve white lace cardigan, a lace cashmere scarf, and a slipper. The white cardigan only has to have the collar knitted and attached and it will be finished. It's silly that it's not finished, actually. But, I didn't feel like doing the collar when it was time, and it's not a cold weather sweater, so the urge to finish isn't particularly strong.

This picture was taken before I grafted the two halves together. Like I said. All it needs is a collar.

The slippers were abandoned last year in the winter. I made a pair for my sister-in-law and decided to make some for myself as well. I got tired of them part-way through and still haven't finished. I really should, though. They'll be warm and cozy and I only have one piece left to knit. The cashmere scarf just got pushed away when I started working on the socks for my mother-in-law for Christmas. Then I started two sweaters. And my mom's socks for Christmas after I finished my mother-in-law's socks. It's not high on the priority list, even though the yarn is yummy and soft. I'll get back to it soon. But, I really want some sweaters. And Christmas knitting needs to get done before Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...