Pages

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The Boston Public Garden

Today was somewhat more eventful than yesterday. Michael seems to be doing a little better, though nowhere near his normal self. I had some errands to run today and some Christmas shopping to do. I got some Boston ornaments to distribute to our family and a few other things. Also, I finished the rest of the Freedom Trail. Unfortunately the USS Constitution was closed (I don't know why) and the Bunker Hill Monument was having some construction done around it, and was fenced off. I got to see it and took some good photos, but couldn't go right up to it. After that I went and got Michael's stuff from the Four Seasons. His last day was supposed to be today, but due to his neck problems he hasn't been to work since Saturday. He still had a few things in his locker, so I went and got them for him and gave them his doctor's note. I also got to walk through the Boston Common and the Public Garden for the last time before we leave. The Common has Christmas lights in the trees, and the Frog Pond is open for ice skating. The Public Garden is a little sad looking with all the trees bare, no flowers, no swan boats or ducks on the duck pond. The pond was actually iced over, even though it was in the 40s. I remember the first time I saw the Public Garden when we came to visit Boston last year. It was September and the leaves hadn't started turning yet. I remember seeing it out the taxi window on our way to the hotel and thinking it was gorgeous.

All the weeping willows around the pond...I like sitting on the bench and reading. This year there were swans nesting on the bank of the pond.

It's a lovely place in the spring and summer. In the winter it's just sad. But, as I will be leaving in three days, I thought it would be nice to bid farewell to one of my favorite spots in Boston.

1 comment:

  1. You're right--it is beautiful! Weeping willows always remind me of the first house I can ever remember living in. It had a big weeping willow in the yard whose branches grew all the way down to the ground and encircled a magical little fairy world inside. Playing there is still one of my most vivid memories of childhood.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...