Pages

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Packing, For Real This Time

Well, we're leaving the day after tomorrow and the apartment still looks like something blew up. This is largely due to the fact that I haven't felt it necessary to actually put papers and things in the trash, since I'll have to clean tomorrow anyway. Also, I have spent much of the day packing while Michael has been lounging on the couch. Still hurting. Pray for the drive, it won't be much fun for him. My father-in-law arrives tomorrow afternoon around 5:00. We have confirmed our people to come for tomorrow and load our stuff into the truck. One nice thing about moving with a truck versus shipping everything is that when you run out of boxes you can always grab a duffel bag, or, when those run out, a trash bag and stick everything in them that hasn't been stuck somewhere else. Most things are in boxes, but I decided I didn't need to go get anymore boxes, that what we had would be enough, and failing that I could improvise. And improvise I have. I did purchase some bubble wrap for framed photos and dishes, but ran out of bubble wrap before I ran out of fragile things. So, there are several mugs and plates wrapped in towels. Our remaining bowls and plates are packed in a small trash can. It was going to come with us anyway, might as well put something in it. Other things, such as cleaning supplies, I'm sure will go in the other trash can once it is emptied. That will be among the last things to be loaded, as I will need said cleaning supplies to clean the apartment. I complain about having to do all these things myself and Michael not being able to help, but really, I don't want his help. I'd just get frustrated with him. I'm a control freak, what can I say? Also, he did do a good bit of packing prior to hurting himself, so all I really had to do was pack the kitchen stuff and throw the last bits in the back room into a box. The only things that aren't packed yet are our electronic things, as we are still making use of them. Tomorrow morning I predict a frenzy of unplugging and wrapping up extension cords and various other things in preparation for our imminent departure. In approximately 31 hours I will be taking off from Boston Logan Airport. I still can't believe that I will be leaving. Even though I've spent most of the day packing, it hasn't sunk in that I will soon leave this apartment and not come back. I'm still excited about being home, it just doesn't seem real. Of course, it never does. Not until it's actually happened.

1 comment:

  1. It takes a lot of courage to admit to being a control freak. I should know! I have actually turned down Paul's help with the laundry simply because he didn't fold things the "right" way, or know which things to hang up, and how. Only a control freak would turn down freely given help from a loving spouse!

    Of course, that freakiness doesn't extend to all areas. I'm more than happy to have help with the dishes, or the floors, or a myriad of other chores. I think we all just have our sacred cows.

    I don't envy your packing and moving--I always end up with eleven frantically thrown together boxes at the end, all labeled (helpfully) "STUFF".

    Looking forward to seeing you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...