Pages

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The End Is Near

Well, the countdown has begun. D - 8 days of work left. I moved my quit date up from December 13 to December 8, ostensibly to give myself more time to pack and clean. It would be quite difficult, after all, to work all the way up until two days before I leave (at the crack of dawn, perhaps even a bit before) and have everything packed and ready to be loaded by Thursday morning when the college students we're hiring are coming to load the truck. This way I'll get to take my time and finish packing and start cleaning and do last minute laundry and everything. But, honestly, I really just want to get out of there as soon as possible. If I could, I'd stop going altogether. However, that would be bad. We need the money, for one thing. And I want whoever hires me next to be able to call here and not have them say, "Well, she gave plenty of notice that she was leaving, but she stopped coming a week and a half before she was supposed to be leaving." It wouldn't look good to a potential employer. Unfortunately, it matters. So, back to work I shall go again in the morning, where I shall add to the official job description for the next poor sucker, I mean, the next person to read. Additionally, I shall play endless games of Sudoku on the internet, check my email approximately 1,000 times, and answer the phones. You can see why I often post while at work. There's not really a lot to occupy my time. Thus the reason why I wish to leave. I play Sudoku in order to prevent as many brain cells from committing suicide as possible. I think it works. It's funny, though. People are starting to realize that I will be leaving quite soon. They've known for a little while now, but it's starting to sink in that the end is near. The recruiter manager came up to me this morning (or was it yesterday?) and said, "We're going to have to train someone new all over again now, you know that?" To which I simply said, "Yup," but secretly thought, "Not my problem, buddy," and laughed maniacally. A couple people have said they're going to miss me, though I doubt many of them will in all honestly. I will soon just be another story of the many receptionists that have come and gone. But, I only have to go back eight more times, and then I can just put it behind me. Only 17 more days until I fly back to Coeur d'Alene. I could only wish it were sooner.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica! Mike just tried to send you a response but it said our password was wrong. He basically said that he was "starting his day out right" by reading your blog. He knows how you feel about your job as he hates this decorating, but will be done with it before he comes back to Boston. Just think how happy you'll be to be back home! We love you! Mike & Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. This time it's just Donna! Now I can't go back to sleep (not going to work again today) as I am coughing constantly now that I'm taking something to break up this phlem. I just read "The End is Near" myself. I had to laugh at how it is just starting to sink in that you're leaving. I can't believe that person said that to you about having to train someone else! I don't think these people are sane! Anyway, I think Bentley and I are going to go back to bed and see if we can get some more sleep. If I keep this up I'm going to run out of sick time! Ha!
    Love, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wooowoooo! Only SEVEN days left, now! I think it was a good idea to leave yourself some extra time for packing--that always seems to take longer than we think, especially when you get down to the last few boxes and all the little odds and ends that don't seem to be in any category.

    Have fun with that!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...